Friday, August 14, 2009

Michael Jackson On Leadership


What can Michael Jackson, A Basketball Blog and John Maxwell have in common?
Actually, a lot. As I was running this morning, Michael Jackson's song, "Man In The Mirror" came on. It reminded me of playing AAU in Huntington, WV for James Hopkins. He would always say, "You need to be like Michael Jackson, 'Take a look in the mirror and make a change'". We would always make fun of him, but he's right and the lesson has stuck with me.
John Maxwell throughout his leadership series, discusses the principle that the first person we must lead is ourselves. To do so, requires many things and above all being honest with ourselves--the best way to do it--is to look in the mirror. I've included some of the lyrics below:
I'm gonna make a change,
For once in my life,
It's gonna feel real good,
Gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right...
I'm starting with the man in the mirror,
I'm asking him to change his ways,
And no message could have been any clearer,
If you want to make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself,
And then make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment