Monday, July 18, 2011

A Former Player's Text

As coaches and teachers we often are frustrated with our players and students. We often ask why they don't get it? Why they don't take advantage of what we're teaching? And the list goes on.

Earlier today I received a text from a recent graduate, Leah Paige. I had no idea what to expect when I saw her name pop up on my phone. If mockery is the greatest form of flattery then, I was constantly flattered by Leah. She had (has) my mannerisms and "favorite quotes" down pat. Always the life of our team meals and meetings.

Leah just started a job at a group home for displaced female adolescents.

Here was her text:
"First day at work I'm already ahead of the game..2 things they used today..the word accountability...and John Wooden's Pyramid of Success..Thanks Coach"

All the frustrations, the travel, the long days, etc. Was worth it for that text...

No comments:

Post a Comment