Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Decision Making--Thoughts/ Questions On Deciding Where To Attend College




Listed below are some questions to consider as a student-athlete prepares to make the decision of where to attend college:

WHO
Coaching staff's philosophy of education
Coaching staff's philosophy of basketball
Student population: Too Big/ Too Small
Character and spirit of the campus in general
Can I respect the Head Coach and staff?
Future teammates
Type of players being recruited
School's athletic policy…Guarantee if injured
Position coach
Recruiting coach
What do former players say of their experiences?


WHERE
Miles from home
Availability of air, train, bus travel
Living conditions
Dining facilities
Weather conditions
Size of city or town
Attitude of community to the University

WHAT
Academic reptutation in my desired major
Alternative academic offerings
Academic facilities in my major
Can I compete in the classroom?
Do the athletes succeed in the classroom?
Is there tutoring help available?
Is there study hall?
Can we win?
Practice and workout facilities
Equipment
Schedule
Opportunity to go on and play professionally
Style of play
Can I continue to grow in the church of my faith?
How soon will I play?
Off season programs
Discipline

GENERAL QUESTIONS
Availability of summer employment
Quality of recruiting--How much do they want me?
Wishes of Mom/Dad
High school / AAU Coach's feelings
What does my principal, counselor or favorite teacher think?
Insurance Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment